What is Bradford Pathways?
It is a model that will be embedded in the education, skills and employment infrastructure in Bradford District and is intended to prepare individuals for changing business and economic needs. It will support young people and adults into a wide range of high-wage, high-skills and high demand careers in sectors that are important in Bradford and the surrounding economies.
It combines academic, employability, leadership and technical skills and allows participants to explore different career pathways designed around high-demand sectors and occupations. It helps them gain the real-world experience needed to compete and achieve success in education and life.
The model works by facilitating collaboration between education, businesses and industry partners to provide support and activities aimed at meeting the needs of both employers and job-seekers. Ultimately it helps to fill positions that are available today, whilst closing skills gaps and preparing a flexible and skilled workforce for the changing needs of the 21st Century, including jobs that do not yet exist.
Why are we developing this model?
The model originates in the USA as Career and Technical Education (CTE) and has been adopted across the country, with extensive evidence of the following outcomes:
- High school students involved in CTE are more engaged, perform better and graduate at higher rates.
- Post-secondary CTE fosters post-secondary completion and prepares students and adults for in-demand careers.
- CTE addresses the needs of high-growth industries and helps close the skills gaps.
For Bradford’s economy and businesses to grow we need more young people entering the job market with a better understanding of the world of work and with the technical and transferable core skills to meet the changing needs. Based on the US evidence, this model can help us to achieve these aims. We are adopting and adapting the CTE model to meet Bradford’s needs.
What do we aim to do?
We will work with all relevant stakeholders to develop and embed a CTE model customised to meet the needs of the Bradford District, its residents and its employers. The development of the model across the whole of the education, skills, enterprise and employment infrastructure will be a long-term programme and be undertaken in a phased approach. Ultimately it will involve the following:
- Career Clusters (link to career cluster information in educational resources section) (in Bradford we have identified 9 clusters)
- Career Pathways (Commonly 84)
- Programmes of Study
- Individual Learning Plans
- Personalised Learning
- Essential Skills and Knowledge (Pathway Essentials) ( link to information in educational resources)
The first phase will focus on secondary schools and year 6 of primary schools specifically for the core skills development.